This program is designed to enable licensed practical nurses to acquire the necessary knowledge and practice expertise to care for older persons in all health and health-care settings.
The Gerontology Program is delivered via distance and includes five self-learning modules and a clinical component.
Upon successful completion of the theoretical component of the program, students will complete a clinical component. Students will be accommodated in their own geographic region as much as possible.
For the clinical component of this course there are two possible options:
- Those students with no previous experience or less than one year clinical experience in a gerontological setting will be required to complete a 3-4 week preceptored clinical experience.
- Students with more than one year experience in a gerontological clinical setting are required to complete a clinical focused assignment and a short paper on a gerontology topic.
- Tuition is $1,000 CAD. Tuition must be paid in full before admission to the program.
- Tuition fee includes unit modules and preceptored clinical experience.
- The required textbook is not included in the cost of tuition.
- Links to additional online readings and resources will be provided in the unit modules. Printings of additional online readings and resources will not be provided by the CNS.
The Post-Basic Gerontology Program is offered based on sufficient registration.
The Centre for Nursing Studies offers Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) as a service to students who feel they may have achieved learning through previous knowledge and experience.
Students can complete the program at their own pace but must complete the program within one year.
If you are interested in this program, please complete the LPN Gerontology Registration Form July 2023 (PDF).
For questions or inquiries, please contact:
Centre for Nursing Studies -Continuing Nursing Studies
Southcott Hall, 100 Forest Rd.
St. John’s, NL A1A 1E5
Toll Free: 1-888-290-6272